I am a Filipina/Pinay applying for an Australian visa – for which visas do I need to provide an invitation?

As a Filipina/Pinay you are required to apply for a visa for Australia. This is true regardless of the length of time you want to go to Australia (whether it be for a temporary or permanent entry) or the reason for your journey to Australia. Even if you are applying just for the purpose of a two week holiday you will be required to obtain a visa. Depending on your personal circumstances, including your financial situation, you may apply on your own without any assistance; or if you have family, friends or an Australian boyfriend etc. they can provide you with an invitation or letter in support of your application. It is up to you whether you get an invitation from someone residing in Australia or not. Whether the invitation carries much weight in the eyes of the Australian Government will depend on your relationship with this person or persons, as well as their individual circumstances.

For an Australian Tourist visa, for example, it can be entirely appropriate for you to attach an invitation from someone in Australia. Millions of people come to Australia each year to visit family, friends and boyfriends and to do tourist activities. Someone in Australia can offer to provide financial and other support to your trip. A well prepared invitation can certainly increase your chances of obtaining a Tourist visa. Without someone offering to support a visit many Pinay’s would not be likely to have the funds required by the Australian Government to come out on a Tourist visa. While the wages in Australia are high compared with the Philippines so is the cost of living.

For a Fiance or Partner (Marriage) visa an ‘applicant’ for this visa is required to have a ‘sponsor’. These types of visas are based on fiancé, marriage or de facto relationships and 1 person must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. If you are married to an Australian man you may be eligible for a Partner visa and your husband will need to effectively invite you to live with him in Australia. There are a number of documents that he will have to submit that amount to his invitation.

For other visas like business, student and work visas both people and/or companies can provide you with an invitation, and offer or financial or some other type of support. We recommend you first research which visa is most appropriate for your circumstances and then see if you need to and/or can obtain an invitation. Many of the applications for Australian visas are complex so make sure you provide everything that is required as set out in the migration regulations.